About this commentary
- Listed under:
- Ishtar (1)
- 2011.May.22 / 1pm
Ishtarby: Soulless.Minions • tags: 1980s • feature • free • stars: Dustin.Hoffman • Warren.Beatty
Note: This commentary was recorded using a PAL (Region 2) DVD.
This film has become synonymous with the word–failure. Many remember it as a notorious box office bomb and also the many, many woes that plagued its long and delayed production. Nevertheless, we believe many people have come to see this movie as very underrated and unfairly judged since its initial release in 1987. “Criminally underrated” is actually a more apt definition. Maybe this movie doesn’t succeed on every level but we feel there’s a lot of stuff to be admired in it. More of it works than what doesn’t and the stuff that does work is pure gold. (The chemistry between Hoffman and Beaty is the highlight.)
In the end its a movie about guy love and pursuing your dreams no matter what it takes.
I think, by and large, this is almost a dramatic piece but just with these moments that are absurd, just like absurdity is in real life.— Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy,
You got about 70% seriousness and about 30% comedy. … Don’t you mean the other way around?… You said 70% serious. … That’s what I mean, yeah. … This is a comedy. …I’d say it’s 70 comedy, 30 drama. Really?— ,
I love this. The CIA’s been reduced to bringing in MPs to encourage people to clap and whatnot. They’re just selling these guys.— ,
If I ever ran into either of those three—Elaine May or the two main guys—I would … say, ‘Look. I mean this with all sincerity. I freakin’ love that movie. Thank you for giving me that. It made my childhood.’— of Orthodoxy,